Saturday, September 3, 2011

¡gracias!


On Thursday, I had art class with the three oldest kids: Kevin, Kristian, and Larimar.  We were having a great time drawing and laughing.  In the middle of it, I had them stop what they were doing so I could make an announcement.  I said something like, “Thank you all for being so wonderful.  Thank you for paying attention to me!  Thank you for understanding me and doing what I ask.”  They all kind of looked at me like I was crazy.  You see…this week, I’ve had a few opportunities to work with our two newest little girls who have trouble maintaining eye contact for more than two seconds, never mind obeying instructions.  God bless their teacher this year!

I would like to thank God for my boys: Kevin and Kristian.  (I hope I can still say this a month from now!)  We had such a good week in school together.  We worked hard every day and almost accomplished everything I had planned.  It is not often that I can say this, so I’m posting it here as a reminder to myself for the future.  I love the dynamic I have right now in my classroom.  Every day, I am appreciating teenagers a little bit more. 

So in the classroom, it was a great week.  And in the afternoons, we took the kids to badminton practice.  A retired gym teacher in Luquillo has made it his hobby to teach kids the sport.  So, for two hours every afternoon for three weeks, we ride down the street to la cancha and sweat and run and play and try to focus little children’s attention.  This was our first week doing this, and we were exhausted by the end!  But the kids seemed to enjoy it.  In two weeks, our students will participate in some kind of tournament.  By the looks of the practices, we could have some contenders.


No comments:

Post a Comment