Sunday, October 24, 2010

los adolescentes

Let me begin by saying that I really love my students. They make me laugh a lot in class, and we have fun. When they are interested in a subject matter, they are very focused and curious. That said--this week their teenager-ness really started to get to me, and I was reminded why I went to school for elementary (not high school) education! But Friday eventually arrived, and we all made it through another week together. Praise the Lord!

Every day I am finding out more and more strongly that most of what I learned in college does not apply to teaching deaf children. This can be disheartening at times, but I am staying positive. I can consider my time here as a free education. Fortunately, I have three experienced teachers here to help guide me!

On Saturday afternoon, I was able to forget all my cares for a few hours as I sat on a deserted beach and floated in a crystal-clear ocean. God knows that I need these moments to relax and regain strength for the coming week.

It’s not all frustrating, though…here’s a positive thought from the week:

I’m really enjoying serving as a part-time art teacher. It is gratifying to see a student who once hated art now asking to spend his recess working on his project! Here are some pictures of the middle-school students showing off their latest finished pieces. They learned how to mix primary colors. They also explored creating unique textures by painting with unconventional objects (q-tips, sponges, and cotton balls). They were very proud of their finished products…as was I.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz,
    I bet you thought I forgot about you. This has been a year with so many activities and very little time. Granted, they are great activities, like family literacy night, family reading night and ah yes a bulletin board project. You know what an undertaking that can be. However, Kelly and I are not so enthusiastic about it this time. I think it has to do with too much going on.
    You sound like you are having a typical year for a first year teacher. Stressful, rewarding, yet frustrating. It is wonderful that you have such a positive attitude and a few moments to collect your thoughts and regroup.
    Oh, I neglected to tell you that Jen got a part-time art teaching position in September in a charter school in Norwalk, Ct. This too is stressful, rewarding and yet frustrating. She has to plan lessons for grades Pre-k through 8th grade. She too, is trying to be positive.
    All my best Judy
    Oh, I love your students art work.

    ReplyDelete