Sunday, May 12, 2013

lágrimas



I was never much of a crier before I came to Puerto Rico, but that sure has changed over the past three years.  Maybe it’s the heat or the hormones in the chicken, or maybe I’m just at a new stage in my life. 

My most recent tears started two weeks ago when the grandmother of three of our students was admitted to the hospital with multiple brain tumors.  The tears continued when she passed away and we broke the news to her grandchildren.  Then, there were more at her wake and funeral.  They persist some nights when I lay in bed thinking about what will happen to these precious children now that their primary care-taker (that is an understatement to how important she was to their lives) is gone. 

It seems that all the conversations and prayers around here lately are about departures.  In addition to Abuela’s passing, four of the five staff members are moving on from this place within the next month.  All five of us are facing uncertainties in our futures.  So I find myself crying at the thought of leaving these lovely ladies, these precious children, my wonderful church…and then I cry some more.  

Last year I cried mostly because I was unwell, exhausted, and lonely.  I was quick to list all the things I would never miss about this place.  This year I have been healthy, and I have finally found the sense of community that I was missing before.  Recently, I’ve actually caught myself listing the things that I will miss about this place.  The list is a bit longer than I had once thought it would be.  So there are a few more tears than I anticipated. 

Mostly, I am able to keep my tears between myself and God.  But lately that is becoming more difficult and I find myself shedding them even around other people.  It’s amazing how time changes things.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sister,
    What a challenging position you hold! but don't despair God has always been so faithful! I am truly inspired by what you do. Ever since I found out about ESD (2 weeks ago) I started praying for the ministry and workers. It took a special place in my heart. I know that God holds something dear for this ministry, and His work will be done there! All of my biggest passions; teaching, children, deaf community, and the Lord are all in this ministry, and I am praying that God would guide me and open that doors for me if this is His will. I also pray that God would continue to use you for His will in this ministry, and to continue to shape you as a mighty woman of God --- In every generation there are a few…
    These are some quotes that have really inspired and encouraged me and I hope they would do the same for you!
    “But God is the God of the waves and the billows, and they are still His when they come over us; and again and again we have proved that the overwhelming thing does not overwhelm. Once more by His interposition deliverance came. We were cast down, but not destroyed.”

    “He hath never failed thee yet.
    Never will His love forget.
    O fret not thyself nor let
    Thy heart be troubled,
    Neither let it be afraid.”
    — Amy Carmichael
    May God bless you abundently,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you for the inspiring words.
    How did you find out about ESD?
    I, too, pray that God will reveal His will about you and this place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. any time you need a shoulder, knock on my window. i am inside in my own little place most likely weeping about most of that too

    ReplyDelete