Sunday, May 5, 2013

el día nacional de oración



Thursday was the National Day of Prayer.  Betsy took the older kids on a prayer retreat in the rain forest, and Judy, Stefanie, and I had the four little boys back at school.  To celebrate the day, we set alarms throughout the morning to pray every half-hour.  We hoped that this would show the boys that prayer can happen at any time of day (not just before lunch and during devotion time).

I don’t think any of us foresaw the excitement that the boys would have throughout the morning.  After chapel, we all met together in my classroom to write or draw prayer requests.  Then we folded them up and put them in a pail.  I let the boys watch as I set alarms on my phone, and then we started school as usual and went our separate ways.   

Every time I showed the kids my sounding alarm, they jumped up, grabbed the pail and went to our preassigned prayer spot (the stairs outside the classrooms).  Whichever boys I had at the time ran to gather the rest.  Each boy and one teacher took turns drawing a request and praying. 


 By the end of the day, it was obvious that the boys had enjoyed the activity.  Our greatest hope was that they had learned a little more about prayer too.  However, I don’t think any of us envisioned Saúl’s continued enthusiasm on Friday morning. 

When Betsy started to go over the day’s schedule, he insisted that they follow Thursday’s plan.  He actually wanted to get it out of the garbage and photocopy it so that he could use it again.  Naturally, Betsy was excited that he wanted so badly to pray, so she suggested that they pray together.  But he said, “No!  We have to pray with Elizabeth outside on the steps!”

Later when he and Gaby came to my class for math, they told me their suggestion for the events of the morning.  I was also pleased at their desire to pray.  So each time they came to my classroom throughout the day, we set an alarm and went outside to pray.

I have really enjoyed the boys’ enthusiasm for prayer this year.  Each afternoon in devotion time, I have seen much growth in their prayers.  There is something about talking with God that brings out some of the best language and maturity in them.  Please pray with me that this passion continues throughout the summer when they are away from school.     

No comments:

Post a Comment