Sunday, September 2, 2012

la creatividad


This year in art class, we’re continuing our study of the elements of art with texture.  After learning the meaning, related vocabulary, and seeing several examples, I set the kids loose in the art room (a.k.a. the library) to explore various techniques of creating texture. 

When this happened, I quickly saw two kinds of thinkers: the imaginative and the concrete.

The faces of the imaginative thinkers lit up when I told them they were free to experiment with anything they found.  They rummaged excitedly through the drawers of supplies and collected an armful to bring back to their tables.  Their expressions became focused and intrigued as they made discoveries.  Every once in a while, they called me over to show me what they had come up with.  They worked quickly and excitedly because they couldn’t wait to see their finished products. 

The faces of the concrete thinkers resembled deer in headlights.  They didn’t know what to do with the freedom I had given them.  Their eyes soon drifted to my sample project, and they made their way slowly to the supply area to find the same materials that I had used.  When I steered them away from those objects and encouraged them to find other things, they looked disappointed.  After I helped them decide on something else, they shuffled slowly back to their tables.  Before they got to work, they scanned the room to see what the other kids were doing.  If they saw an idea they liked, they were quick to jump up and collect the same materials.  Again, I guided them to another idea, an original idea.  When they were finally convinced that they were not allowed to copy someone else’s work and that they had suitable materials in front of them, they worked…slowly…stiffly…almost painfully.

I believe that every child can be creative.  While we all have varying degrees of creativity, I trust that we each possess at least a small amount.  My responsibility as an art teacher is to help each child find their creativity.  I firmly believe that, but I’m not always sure how to do it.  Sure, it’s easy to help an overtly creative child be more creative, but how do you help the concrete thinker…the one who always sees black and white…the one who is overwhelmed by choices…the one who prefers to copy than to be original? 

(Feel free to leave me suggestions!)     

Saúl is mixing paint, shaving cream, glue, and possibly other things to create apples for his tree.  Can you guess which type of thinker he is?
 

A small sampling of textures 



No comments:

Post a Comment