Saturday, August 11, 2012

incertidumbre


We’re finished with our first week of school.  As usual, the year started with special activities—including a Vacation Bible School program put on by a team from Kansas and the ESD Olympics.  We started our first bit of classes on Thursday afternoon, but our first full day of real school was on Friday.

This year our class schedule looks a lot different than it has for the past two years.  Instead of teaching primarily the high school class, I’ll be teaching math, Social Studies, and art to all three age groups of students.  In addition, I’ll teach vocabulary and Spanish to the older ones. 

I’m not sure how I feel about our new schedule.  Right away on Thursday afternoon I found out that I have a lot to re-learn about how to teach younger kids!  I’ve become so accustomed to the teenagers that I’ve forgotten how to approach the little ones.  I felt very unsettled on Friday afternoon after the first full day of switching classes.  This new schedule means that every 45 minutes I see a new group of students, and it feels a lot more segmented and choppy than I’m used to.  I’m not sure if my slight anxiety was due to this change or to something else…

...As of Friday, we have five full-time staff members and only seven students (with the expectation of one more next week). 

We found out this week that two girls that came to school last year will not be attending this year.  This is really frustrating because we saw how much they learned last year, and we could see all their future potential.  Now they will be going to a hearing school with minimal support, and who knows what that will mean for them?

So that accounts for our number of students, and now the staff:  We are happy to welcome a new face, Casey, and a returning face, Stefanie.  We’re excited to have them with us, and we are praying and waiting to see exactly what their roles will be this year.

To have more staff hands than are necessary for our number of students makes me think that God has something in the works for the near future.  More students perhaps?  I don’t know, but I sure am not enjoying this uncertainty! 





No comments:

Post a Comment