Saturday, August 21, 2010

nuevos comienzos


Week One in Review:

My surprise new student adds an interesting dynamic to my classroom.  This dynamic is a bit more of a challenge than I had previously anticipated.  What would life be without challenges, though, right?

I think my students learned a little this week, but our time was mostly spent getting to know one another.  Two of my students are excited to learn about God, math, writing, science, and Spanish.  The other one does not seem to be excited about much of anything right now…except maybe sleeping during class.  He puts on a nice “tough guy” façade, but I know there is a lot of potential underneath.  (Friday was his birthday, and I think I saw a smile when I brought out his cake after lunch!) 

I had a chance to interact with all the students in the school this week—during chapel time, recess, and my art classes.  My high schoolers also got to spend time with the little ones.  Probably my favorite moment this week was when my students read stories to the preschool/kindergarten class.  Suddenly…my teenage boys become grownups as they sat balancing squirming little boys on their laps.  I saw a hint of frustration in their eyes when the little ones were not paying attention—I hope they remember this feeling the next time they start to get restless in my class!

My students are wonderful to me as I struggle with my sign language.  I had an interpreter this week, but I tried not to rely on her every moment.  I am extremely thankful for her help, and I am encouraged by a few successful attempts I had at communicating with my students by myself.  I’ve definitely learned a lot these past few weeks…but I have a long way to go! 

Please pray as I keep learning ASL, and pray that I soon discover the best ways to motivate my students, especially the new one. 

1 comment:

  1. New student? How exciting and... challenging! Praying for you and glad to hear things are going well. God won't give you more than you can handle!

    ReplyDelete