Saturday, October 8, 2011

un cuento clásico

Here's my week in pictures:

In history class, we are learning about life in Colonial America.  To gain a better understanding of how hard life was, we made our own candles; we concluded that it's much easier to just buy them!
Kristian signing the word candle while we wait for the wax to melt
Here is the first of many dips--and I mean many!  If you don't have patience, don't try this at home.
The finished product
On Friday, my class read a story to the little kids.  We performed the classic book Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina.  It is my favorite kid's book, so I had a lot of fun.  When Krisitan and I (Kevin was out sick) finished reading and acting, we led the kids in a coloring activity.  Then, as is our custom at ESD, the little kids acted out the story.


Saúl as the peddler
Kioney and Gaby as the monkeys (Kristian was the one who made sure no one fell out of the tree!)

Then after many renditions of the story--featuring every possible combination of students--I did a good old-fashioned read aloud.  You can act all you want, but there's nothing quite like just sitting and watching a story.  This is one of my favorite parts of teaching.  I love to watch the students' faces and reactions to the story--even though they already know what's going to happen.  A good story will almost always enthrall a group of children--and Caps for Sale is one of the best.    



Here's one version of the kids' drama.  Enjoy!
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth! It looks like you had a fun week. I loved the mini play. It seems that you have improved with your signing. I hope all is going well with you. Sorry I haven't been in touch.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete